Sunday, May 16, 2010

Share Your Craft

Last week marked the second time this month I volunteered at a local after-school program to share some magic. Not only did I get to practice my chops in front of a cynical group of 25 high school students, I taught a few basic sleights, got them excited about the craft—and did something good.

Sharing your craft, whatever it may be, is a great way to not only give, but a great way to get something back. It refuels the heart and senses.

Look for opportunities around you to share your craft, and create a rich, fulfilling experience for yourself and others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved it. great post and very inspirational.

hieu le said...

Hi John, I just found out about your blog and I'm a pretty big fan of yours (you probably hear that a lot), but you go up even more notches by volunteering your time to public schools!

I've spent most of my time volunteering or in the nonprofit sector and i've tried to get professional magicians to volunteer their time, however brief and i'd get a lot of rejections which i guess is understandable but it's a downer too...as magic should be spread and shared at an early age i feel...but anyhow, I'm rambling.

I wanted to say/share this with you, if you're REAAAALLLY up for it.

Look at this website.

http://www.citizenschools.org/volunteer/how-it-works/

It's an awesome program. And I always suggest it to anyone with any knowledge to share to someone...especially specialized interest.

You'll get to not only volunteer your time for a short period of time but you'll get to teach/make a lesson plan and have your own apprentices...and they have to put on a WOW project at the end...in your case it could be a magic show...or something else, whatever you want it to be.


It's something That I've done in the past and I feel you'll definitely love it also.

Sorry for the long post.

-Hieu Le